14 General Ruby on Rails interview questions: #
Here are some good and timeless questions that I have been asked when applying for jobs. I like these questions, because they don’t go too much into tiny details, but can demonstrate the interviewees range of knowledge and opinions. I myself also ask these questions when hiring:
- What is the difference between Ruby and Rails?
- Did you try any other Ruby frameworks?
- What don’t you like about Rails as a framework?
- What are the limits of Ruby on Rails?
- Do you prefer Rspec and Minitest? What is the difference?
- What do you think about TDD?
- What are service objects? Have you used them?
- Give an example of inheritance?
- On a previous job, what was the development process like?
- How do you review a pull/merge request?
- What are background jobs? When would you use them?
- Do you agree with the “fat model, skinny controller” principle?
- What is a polymorpic association?
- In Ruby, what is the difference between proc, bloc and lambda?
7 Hotwire interview questions: #
Hotwire is quite a fresh technology that was released in December of 2020, but these question can let you easily distinguish a PRO from a wannabe:
- Give an example of a reusable and non-reusable StimulusJS controller
- When would you use
- What is the difference between Turbo Frames and Streams?
- What is the difference between HTTP and Websocket Turbo Streams?
- Can you mix turbo frames and streams?
- Give an example of a custom turbo stream?
- When would you use a ViewComponent instead of a partial?